GNU servers (ftp.gnu.org, gnu.org, fsf.org) unreachable via Amsterdam exit node

Where is the problem occurring?

Browsing (pages not loading, slowness, broken sites)

Your device

MACOS

Warren version (optional)

1.1.36

What happened?

brew install wireguard-tools was getting stuck indefinitely. Homebrew downloads the gettext, bash, and libunistring sources from ftp.gnu.org and ftpmirror.gnu.org, and these downloads never started.

Connected to the Amsterdam exit (relay warren-6da600d4fc8e27e7), no GNU/FSF servers were responding: ftp.gnu.org, ftpmirror.gnu.org, www.gnu.org, savannah.gnu.org, www.fsf.org. Neither via HTTPS nor via ping. Everything else worked normally (github.com, formulae.brew.sh).

What I have checked

  • DNS is not the cause: ftp.gnu.org resolves correctly, it’s the connection that never completes.
  • A traceroute traverses the transit to the outskirts of the GNU network, then no more responses.
  • At the same time, ftp.gnu.org:443 responded normally from 5 other countries (check-host.net: Germany, Spain, Israel, Sweden, United Kingdom).

The exit address of this exit seems to be filtered by GNU/FSF. I don’t know if other exits are affected.

Workaround: switch exit during download, or disconnect the VPN.

How to reproduce? (optional)

connect to the Amsterdam exit, then curl -I https://ftp.gnu.org/.

How often does it happen?

Every time